12 Small Bathroom Shower Tile Ideas for 2024
You don’t need space to feel refreshed and rejuvenated. Create a luxurious small shower with these twelve stunning tile ideas. For more inspiration, check out our 27 Stunning Shower Tile Design Ideas for 2024 and view our wide selection of shower tiles.
1. Create the Illusion of Space With Large Format Tile
Large format tiles require fewer grout lines, which will make your space feel more expansive. This shower designed by Nikki Chu uses the Savannah Antique 24″ x 48″ marble-look tile to create the appearance of solid marble walls. The effect is an elegant and tranquil space–the epitome of quiet luxury.
2. Create a Luxurious Spa Experience with Pebble Tile
A refreshing at-home spa experience is just the thing to elevate your morning routine. The Grey Pebble Small Mosaic tile will make your shower feel luxurious even if you don’t have the luxury of space. The pebble shapes will give your feet a soothing massage and surround you with a calming atmosphere.
3. Utilize Your Space With a Corner Shelf
Make the most of your small space by installing a corner shelf. Hanging racks can make your shower feel cluttered, but a built-in shelf provides a convenient and stylish place to hold your soap and shampoo. Shop corner shelves in a variety of materials and styles to match your shower tile.
4. Brighten Your Space with Brilliant Jewel Tones
One of our favorite bathroom tile ideas for small showers is dazzling jewel-toned tile. Brilliant blues and glimmering greens are a 2024 trend that we predict will be around for years to come. We love how Wade Home Remodeling used the Look Blu tile in this shower. The shine of the tiles reflects the light, making this small space feel fresh and light even though the tile is a darker color.
5. White Tile Shower Ideas for Small Bathrooms
Always on-trend white subway tile will give your shower walls a chic and sleek look. The traditional brick-bond look of this shower designed by Timber and Suede is both modern and classic. If you want to punch up your white subway tile design, try using dark-colored grout for contrast (it will also hide dirt, making your shower look cleaner even if you miss a week of scrubbing).
6. Create a Shower Niche
A great tile shower idea for small bathrooms is a decorative and practical shower niche. We love this niche designed using tile from the Alison Victoria collection. The Elia Polished marble mosaic and Precious Metals 24 Karat trim create a chic, highly designed look. Because the shower niche is a relatively small space, you have a chance to really showcase your style with a patterned or mosaic tile that would be too busy for the entire shower.
7. Create a Vertical Accent
An intricate mosaic or patterned tile can easily overwhelm a small shower, but if you’re in love with a design, you can still incorporate it into your space in small doses. A vertical accent of mosaic tile will add character to your small space. The single vertical stripe of the Casablanca Mosaic tile in this shower designed by Le Coeur Design elevates this small shower by providing a stylish focal point.
8. Add Height with a Vertical Stack
There are many ways to use subway tile in your shower design. If you’re working with a short space, you can add height to your shower by installing a vertical stack subway tile like this shower designed by Coco & Jack. The tiled ceiling helps create the illusion of height, making this shower feel as spacious as it is charming.
9. Add Artisanal Charm with Handmade-Look Tile
A major trend we’re excited for this year is the authentically artisanal aesthetic of handmade and handmade-look tiles. The slight variations in surface texture, size and color make handmade-look tiles, like the Riad Grey tile shown here, a charming choice for a small shower. This bathroom designed by I SPY DIY creates a wet room, extending the tile to encompass the entire space, but we think this handmade-look tile would look just as exquisite in a well-lit smaller space.
10. Go All out with All-Over Marble
Just because you don’t have the luxury of space, doesn’t mean you can’t have a luxurious aesthetic. Since the smaller footprint means you can afford to do more, a small shower might be just the place to invest in real marble tile. Many of our marble tile collections, like the Ashford Carrara shown here, include several sizes, trim pieces and mosaics, so you can achieve a highly designed look like this bathroom designed by Nikki Chu.
11. Add Movement with a Herringbone Pattern
One of the best ways to add movement to your shower walls is with a herringbone pattern. Elongated subway tiles like the Splendours White tile shown here will make your space feel wider. This pattern, created by Quinn Design, adds interest to the small space without making it feel busy.
12. Personalize Your Space With Custom Mosaic Floors
Don’t forget about your shower floors! Even with a small footprint, you can create something unique and interesting for the base of your shower. This custom hexagon floral tile floor designed by The Gold Hive is a perfect example of how to infuse your small shower with color and whimsy.
Ready to update your small shower? It’s easier than ever to make your design dreams a reality with our free design services. Or, explore even more small showers spaces on our Customer Room Gallery and Instagram!
Small Bathroom & Shower Tile FAQs
What is the best tile to use for a small shower?
As for any space, the best tile to use is the one that makes you feel refreshed and invigorated. If you want to add the illusion of height or width, use a subway tile installed vertically (for height) or horizontally (for width).
What is the best color tile for a small bathroom?
A light-colored tile will make your space feel more open and airy, but if you have a lot of natural light in your bathroom, you can opt for a darker tile. A highly reflective tile, like a glossy jewel-toned tile will add light even if the tile itself is darker.
What tile makes a small shower look bigger?
Large-format tiles require fewer grout lines, which will make your space feel more expansive. Shop our full assortment of large-format tile to find your unique style.
Shop The Look
- Savannah Antique 24 x 48 in. | Porcelain | 680297
- Modena MosaicMarble | 681456
- Brick x Brick by Alison Victoria Petal2 x 10 in. | Porcelain | 484078
- Elia Polished by Alison Victoria13 x 14 in. | Marble | 650851
- Alison Victoria Precious Metals 24 Karat Pencil Trim0.4 x 12 in. | Metal | 681823
- Splendours White 3 x 12 in. | Ceramic | 494542
- Hampton Carrara Polished Shower Curb42 x 6.5 x 0.75 in. | Marble | 659204
- Royal White Polished Hex 2 x 2 in. | Marble | 656102
- Riad Grey4 x 4 in. | Ceramic | 484018
- Look Blu 2 x 10 in. | Porcelain | 484054
- Everest White Natural12 x 24 in. | Porcelain | 681667
- Splendours White3 x 12 in. | Ceramic | 494542
- Ashford Carrara Polished Hex2 in. | Marble | 650049
- Annie Selke Artisanal White 3 x 12 in. | Ceramic | 496070
- Casablanca Mosaic 616047
- Ashford Carrara Polished 12 x 24 in. | Marble | 658786
- Ashford Carrara Polished SkirtingMarble | 650055
- Imperial Bianco Gloss Square Pencil Trim12 in. | Ceramic | 495640
- Siberian Pearl Brushed Hex2 in. | Marble | 650434
- Bianco Carrara Polished Curb6.6 x 60.96 in. | Marble | 800128
- Imperial Sienna Gloss Hex 2 in. | Ceramic | 667869
- Imperial Bianco Gloss Hex2 in. | Porcelain | 667861
- Imperial Pink Gloss Hex2 in. | Ceramic | 667849
- Imperial Denim Gloss 3 x 6 in. | Ceramic | 495336
- Firenze Carrara Polished Skirting Marble | 650210