Style & Design
Custom Tile Patterns to Personalize Your Space
One of the most exciting parts of designing a space is making it feel more like you. While we typically turn to options like paint colors and accent pillows to bring a personalized touch to our designs, there’s one major element that’s often overlooked – tile! Custom tile patterns are such a fun and unique way to achieve a truly one-of-a-kind look – all you need is a little creativity.
We’ve rounded up some of our favorite custom tile patterns created by designers and DIYers alike that’ll be sure to give you all the inspiration you need and get those creative juices flowing!
Penny Round Patterns
A tried-and-true style, penny round tiles instantly bring a chic, vintage feel to your space – plus, they’re super easy to build custom patterns with! As you can see in the photos below, these small circular porcelain tiles can be used to create stylish borders, floral-inspired designs, retro stripes, and more! With a variety of colors in both matte and glossy finishes, our penny rounds offer endless options when it comes to creating an eye-catching design.
One of our new favorite spaces is this small but stunning powder room designed by Chris Loves Julia. If you want even more CLJ bathroom inspo, check out their modern cottage primary bathroom – trust us, you’ll be swooning.
If you love the penny round look but aren’t quite ready to design your own pattern, explore our new patterned penny round mosaics!
Subway Tile Patterns
It’s no secret we love subway tile – it’s versatile, easy to install, and allows for maximum creativity with endless colors, materials, and finishes to choose from. Keep scrolling to see all the different ways it can be used to showcase design styles ranging from bright and bold to soft and calming.
All about the bright and playful aesthetic? Check out these six tips for designing with color from color-enthusiast and interior designer Ashley Wilson of At Home with Ashley.
Small but impactful trim pieces bring the perfect amount of elegance to this beautiful bathroom. Learn everything you need to know about incorporating tile trim and accessories into your design with our in-depth guide.
Checkerboard is back, in a big way. One of our favorite current design trends is custom checkerboard patterns featuring mixed materials – as you can see in the photo below featuring our Volakas marble and Legno limestone. Of course, you can never go wrong with a classic black-and-white color palette either! Explore our extensive selection of square tiles to find the perfect combination for your own custom checkerboard pattern.
This whimsical handmade-look tiled backsplash was created in a kitchen renovation during the Spring 2021 One Room Challenge – check it out to see the before photos, as well as even more breathtaking transformations!
Quickly growing in popularity, hexagon tiles bring striking dimension to any space with their bold geometric shape. Smaller hex tiles can achieve the same intricate look of penny-rounds with sharper edges, while larger hexes bring a more dominant feel to a design. We can’t get over these especially creative designs that take tile artistry to the next level!
We absolutely adore the handmade-look tile in this farmhouse kitchen. Along with the fun hex flooring, you can also spot a subtle checkerboard patterned backsplash that offers effortless cohesion and visual interest. Find out just what makes handmade-look tile so special, and see more incredible spaces featuring it, here.
Feeling inspired to make a custom tile pattern of your own? Schedule a free design consultation with one of our tile experts to get a jumpstart on your next project. Oh, and be sure to tag us @thetileshop on Instagram so we can see your unique creation!
Shop The Look
- Penny Round Gloss White12 x 13 in | Porcelain | 615814
- Penny Round Matte Black12 x 13 in | Porcelain | 615815
- Penny Round Matte White12 x 13 in | Porcelain | 615813
- Hex Gloss White1 x 1 in | Porcelain | 615818
- Hex Matte Black1 x 1 in | Porcelain | 615819
- Imperial Bianco Gloss Subway4 x 12 in | Ceramic | 495630
- Penny Round Sky Blue12 x 13 in | Porcelain | 669026
- Penny Round Pale Taupe12 x 13 in | Porcelain | 681541
- Hex Matte Black2 x 2 in | Porcelain | 615823
- Imperial Bianco Gloss Subway3 x 6 in | Ceramic | 441955
- Color Market Dijon2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495878
- Color Market Highland2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495868
- Color Market Apache2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495863
- Color Market Amsterdam2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495880
- Color Market Aubergine2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495889
- Color Market Blush2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495882
- Color Market Havana2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495879
- Color Market Patagonia2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495854
- Color Market Mandacaru2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495867
- Color Market Santorini2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495859
- Color Market Alice2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495890
- Color Market Rosa Cha2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495886
- Color Market Flamingo2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495883
- Color Market Golden Coast2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495877
- Color Market Lima Da Persia2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495876
- Color Market Acquamarine2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495865
- Color Market Monaco2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495870
- Color Market Auckland2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495871
- Color Market Serena2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495874
- Color Market Wonderland2.5 x 9 in | Ceramic | 495873
- Retro Lino3 x 12 in | Ceramic | 494434
- Annie Selke Artisanal Sky Pencil0.8 x 12 in | Ceramic | 496137
- Morris & Co. Pure Net Cloud Grey13 x 13 in | Porcelain | 681461